Teriyaki Tuna Kabobs
Local Ocean’s Classic
TERIYAKI TUNA KABOBS
with Yakisoba Noodles
TIME: 20 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 5 oz. Albacore tuna per person
IN THE BOX
Albacore Tuna Loin
Sesame Chili Sauce
FROM YOUR PANTRY
2-4 tbsp oil for cooking
Salt + pepper to taste
1. Prepare the tuna loin - If you plan to skewer the tuna, cut each portion into 3-4 equally thick slices. Alternately, you can keep the tuna loin whole. Marinate tuna with ¾ of the teriyaki sauce in a ziplock bag and refrigerate, reserving the rest of the sauce for later. Let marinate 30-45 min.
2. Pull the tuna out of the bag and skewer the pieces lengthwise on skewers. Let rest at room temperature.
3. Cook the vegetables - Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp of cooking oil (4 tbsp for 4-person portion). When the oil is shimmering but not smoking, drop your veggies in and sauté for 3-5 minutes, tossing occasionally. In the restaurant, we keep the veggies a little bit crunchy. You can cook them to your desired softness.
4. While the veggies are cooking, prepare a separate pan or electric skillet for the tuna, heating to medium high.
5. When the veggies close to done, add the yakisoba noodles into the pan, mixing well with the veggies, and return to the heat. Add the sesame chili sauce, toss to combine. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly and coats everything well. Turn off the heat.
6. Add a small amount of oil to your pan or skillet for the tuna, add the tuna skewers, and cook no more than one minute per side (if you chose not to cut the tuna into kabobs, you will need to cook longer, ~2 minutes per side). At the restaurant, we serve all tuna medium-rare*. You can cook to your desired doneness here. Make sure the tuna is caramelizing to a medium brown color. If not, you may need to turn up your heat a little.
7. When your tuna is done, pull it off the heat and brush with the reserved teriyaki sauce to coat. If you kept your tuna loin whole, let it rest a few minutes then slice into 1/2-inch slices.
8. To plate, mound your veggie and noodle mixture into the center of each plate or bowl. Top with the tuna and drizzle with any remaining sauce or pan drippings. Garnish with the chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
We strive for zero waste at Local Ocean, and our tuna kabobs help achieve this goal by allowing us to utilize small - but perfectly tasty - pieces of trim. This dish incorporates two of our housemade sauces - the fish is marinated in teriyaki and the veggies are sautéed in our sesame chili sauce.
Updated December 8th, 2020