Local Ocean’s Classic
TIME: 30 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 1 sandwich per person
IN THE BOX
Salami + Pepperoni
Panko Breading Mix
Red Pepper Coulis
FROM YOUR PANTRY
2 tbsp oil for cooking fries
Salt + pepper for seasoning
1. Cook the fries: Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Toss the fries in a little cooking oil and spread them out on a thin baking pan in a single layer. Use multiple baking pans if necessary. When oven is ready, bake fries for 15 minutes. Stir well, then bake another 10-15 minutes until crispy and golden.
2. While the fries are cooking, bread the fish - season the fish with salt and pepper. Then prepare a two-step breading station – egg wash, then breading. Working with each portion individually, dip the fish into the egg wash, coating completely (if you are using a shallow container, you may need to turn it over to coat). Drain excess liquid for a moment, then place in the panko breading. Coat thoroughly, pressing extra breadcrumbs in as necessary. Set aside breaded portions.
3. Cook the fish - heat an electric griddle or large frying pan over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add cooking oil (at the restaurant, we use a mix of olive & canola oils and combine it with clarified butter+). When oil is hot but not smoking, add breaded fish to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden + crispy, then flip, repeating on the other side. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
4. Toast the buns - In the same pan, butter the cut side of the hoagie buns and add to the pan, cut side-down. Once they’re crisp to your liking, remove from the pan and turn off the heat.
5. Prepare the toppings - While the pan is still hot, add the pepperoni and salami. Arrange the sliced meats in a line (4 slices of each per sandwich, salami first then top with the pepperoni) with a little overlap between slices. Keep each sandwich’s portion divided in the pan so you can easily scoop out later. Top with the mozzarella cheese then cover until melted.
6. To assemble - drizzle dijon vinaigrette on both halves of the bun. Top the bottom side with the fish, then use a spatula to add the sliced meats & melted cheese. Finish with pepperoncinis & and a drizzle of the red pepper coulis. Enjoy with fries and ketchup!
+ Local Ocean Tip: Clarified Butter
At the restaurant, we use a mix of olive & canola oils and combine it with clarified butter - this gives us a higher smoke point than straight butter, giving us the flavor while being able to cook at a higher heat and get more golden crispy color!
To make clarified butter, heat butter over medium heat until it turns to liquid. Skim off the milky foam from the top, then drain slowly, keeping the white solids separate from the golden liquid. Discard the solids. We use a 50/50 mix of clarified butter & oil.
Updated March 2nd, 2021