Moqueca de Peixe (Brazilian Stew)
Local Ocean’s Classic
MOQUECA DE PEIXE (BRAZILIAN STEW)
TIME: 20 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 1 bowl per person
IN THE BOX
Rockfish + Prawns
Veggie Mix (Onion + Bell Pepper)
Green Curry + Coconut Milk Broth
Green Onion + Parsley
FROM YOUR PANTRY
2-3 tbsp olive oil for cooking
1. Cure your fish and prawns – cut the lime into quarters. Put the white fish and prawns into a bowl and squeeze the lime quarters over the fish to marinate.
2. Heat a 9- to 12-inch frying or cast-iron pan over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp olive oil until shimmering but not smoking. Add the herb paste, sliced onion & red bell pepper and cook for about 3 minutes. You want the onions to soften a little, but still have a crunch. Add the mushrooms to the pan and toss to mix. Sauté for another 3 minutes.
3. Add the cured prawns & fish to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, tossing occasionally.
4. Add the tomatoes and half the herb garnishes to the pan. Stir in the coconut-curry broth, cover, and bring to a boil.
5. To plate – divide equally between bowls. Top with crab meat and the remaining herb garnishes.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
Chef Charlie originally made this dish for his sisters after they got back from the Amazon. The key to this dish is seasoning the fish with lime juice, salt and pepper prior to cooking. The base is a coconut milk and green curry. The scent of it is intoxicating.
Updated May 2022