LOS Huevos Rancheros
Local Ocean’s Special
LOS HUEVOS RANCHEROS
with Wild Prawns + Pork Belly
TIME: 25 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 2 eggs per person
IN THE BOX
Fried Corn Tortillas
Salsa Verde Ranchero Sauce
FROM YOUR PANTRY
2 tbsp Cooking Oil
Salt + Pepper to season
1. Slice the radish into thin slices. Set aside for garnish.
2. Heat a large frying pan with cooking oil. Add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the salsa verde ranchero sauce to the pan, reserving ¼ cup for a later step. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Move the pan to a back burner to simmer over low heat.
3. Prepare the Proteins – cut the pork belly into ½ inch squares. Slice each prawn in half down the center of its back.
4. Add a splash of oil to a large frying pan or electric griddle, turn to medium heat, and add the pork belly. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the fat from the pork belly is rendered. Turn the belly over to the other side and add the prawns to sear. After 2 minutes, flip the proteins and deglaze the pan with the remaining ¼ cup ranchero sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Fry the Eggs – heat a nonstick frying pan with cooking oil. Fry the eggs to your liking (sunny-side up or over-easy), seasoning them to your preference with salt and pepper. We recommend cooking two eggs at a time to avoid overcrowding and sticking to the pan.
6. To Serve – divide the tortillas evenly among large dinner plates or shallow bowls. Top each tortilla with a mound of prawns and pork belly, then pour over the remaining ranchero sauce from the pan. Add a fried egg atop each tortilla. Sprinkle all over with cotija cheese, then drizzle with avocado-cilantro sauce. To finish, garnish with cilantro and radish. Buen provecho!
Updated April 2nd, 2020