Just the Fish - Fish + Chips Kit
JUST THE FISH - FISH + CHIPS KIT
TIME: 20 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 5 oz. rockfish per person
IN THE BOX
FROM YOUR PANTRY
1-2 tbsp oil for cooking
Salt + pepper for seasoning
1. Cut lemon wedges by cutting in half lengthwise, then each half into thirds again lengthwise.
2. Season the breading with salt and pepper (alternatively, you can season the fish by itself, or both the fish and the breading).
3. Bread the fish: prepare a two-step breading station – egg wash, then breading. Working with each portion individually, dip the fish into the egg wash, coating completely (if you are using a shallow container, you may need to turn it over to coat). Drain excess liquid for a moment, then place in the panko breading. Coat thoroughly, pressing extra breadcrumbs in as necessary. Set aside breaded portions.
4. Heat an electric griddle or large frying pan over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add cooking oil (at the restaurant, we use a mix of olive & canola oils and combine it with clarified butter+). When oil is hot but not smoking, add breaded fish to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden + crispy, then flip, repeating on the other side. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
5. Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges. Enjoy!
+ Local Ocean Tip: Clarified Butter
At the restaurant, we use a mix of olive & canola oils and combine it with clarified butter - this gives us a higher smoke point than straight butter, giving us the flavor while being able to cook at a higher heat and get more golden crispy color!
To make clarified butter, heat butter over medium heat until it turns to liquid. Strain off the milky foam from the top, then drain slowly, keeping the white solids separate from the golden liquid. Discard the solids. We use a 50/50 mix of clarified butter & oil.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
Growing up in a fishing family, we ate a lot of fish - but never deep fried! So, when I opened the restaurant, I wanted to keep the Fish + Chips simple - egg washed, breaded and grilled, like my mom used to make it (she would coat with bread crumbs, ground up Ritz crackers or even corn flakes!). Chefs Bruce Jackson and Charlie Branford decided buttermilk and panko were essential in this recipe and our Grilled Fish + Chips was born. (Hard to believe that was almost 15 years ago!)
Updated November 11th, 2020