Fish Tacos (Mango Pico + Salsa Verde)
Local Ocean’s Classic
TIME: 20 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 2 tacos per person
IN THE BOX
Mango Pico de Gallo
FROM YOUR PANTRY
2-3 tbsp olive oil for cooking
Flour & oil for frying (optional)
1. Season the fish with the Cajun spices and salt (the Cajun seasoning does not have salt).
2. Cut the lime into quarters.
3. Cook the fish: at the restaurant, we fry the fish. You can cook it in a pan or fry it.
- To pan-sear: Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Heat 2 tbsp oil (3 tbsp for 4 portions) until shimmering but not smoking. Add the fish to the pan and cook for 4 minutes undisturbed. You want to crisp up and brown each side a little. Flip the fish over and cook another 2 minutes. Remove from the pan to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- To fry with a deep fryer: coat the fish well in flour seasoned with salt, shaking excess flour off. Heat frying oil to 375 degrees F, then fry in batches until crispy and cooked through; about 4 minutes.
4. Heat the tortillas by toasting with a little oil in a nonstick pan or electric skillet. Alternatively, you can microwave them between layers of paper towels for 45 seconds.
5. Assemble the tacos: on each tortilla, drizzle ½ tbsp salsa verde down the center. Place a heaping spoonful of fish in the center. Top with mango pico de gallo and cotija cheese. Finish with more salsa verde and cilantro, if desired. Serve with quartered limes and radishes.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
Regulars of Local Ocean restaurant know that our fish tacos usually live on our weekly specials menu, changing often to incorporate each season's fresh fish and flavors. The recipe we've shared with you is our favorite version.
Updated December 16th, 2020